How to Up Your Skincare Routine without Breaking the Bank
By Laura Leiva
Instead of splurging on expensive labels, create a routine that leaves skin feeling and looking your best (while keeping costs down!). Here are five tips for stretching any skincare budget:
· Keep it simple. Instead of investing in a multi-step routine you see on social media, pare down to the essentials and find the best quality you can afford. Every routine should consist of a cleanser, active serum, and moisturizer for night (swap out SPF for daytime).
· Save on cleanser. Out of your entire routine, a cleanser needs to be effective not trendy. Look at the label to make sure you’re getting a product that cleanses without stripping natural moisture.
· Splurge on serums. Spend the most of your skincare budget on serums – since the formulas are concentrated and designed to address specific skin concerns, this is where the most active ingredients are found.
· Dual-function products are key. Find products that work in different ways to stretch out the skincare routine without spending more. For example, a cleanser-mask combination cleanses and purifies pores, while moisturizer with sunscreen or ceramides nourishes and protects skin.
· Use tried and true products. Some of the most inexpensive skincare products have been around for decades and still work through a skincare routine. Need extra hydration in certain spots? Dab a bit of petroleum jelly on your skin. Want an effective makeup remover? Cold cream has been an essential for years.
Here’s a tip: effective skincare doesn’t always have to cost a lot of money. Consider where you want to focus your efforts and splurge where it will make the most difference!